Thursday, March 25, 2010

Meeting the locals...

Just thought it was of note that every Russian on our block knows we moved in, and that we moved from Maine...

I walked around the city streets tonight popping into businesses, grabbing take-out menus, and snapping photos of the night life. Sadly there wasn't anything amusing to show you. I could show you the amazing night architecture, but we will save that for later.

I wanted to mention how friendly everybody is. In other cities I've felt as though I shouldn't make eye contact with any passerbys because they would probably take that as an A-ok to stab me. Instead I'm pleasantly surprised to report that I get smiles and nods from everyone I pass*, homeless people only ask for change once, and I haven't seen any dog mess on the sidewalks.

*people may be smiling at me because I have a dumb grin on my face, and I look a little simple-minded.

I'm glad that after a long day of work (generally 10-11 hours) I can find peace in a bustling city.

No comments:

Post a Comment